Today is Military Spouse Appreciation Day

I've been getting messages all day wishing me a happy one. The only problem is I am not a military spouse anymore. I was for 11 years. 

During that time I did everything expected of a Marine wife. I kept the house spotless, raised our children during many deployments. I kept our yard beautiful and won Yard Of the Quarter. I made costumes for all the neighbor kids In our housing area on base. Participated in unit functions, helped younger wives, babysat, did hair for many many wives for formal dances. I held the hands of wives giving birth while their husbands were in war zones. 
When news came that the husbands unit of a friend took casualties I cried with the until names were released and we found out he was ok. 
I even ran a website/message board for wives old and new. I wrote a comedy book about the craziness that is the Marine lifestyle.

For 8 years when he struggled with PTSD, I stood by him. Even when I wanted to give up and walk away, I kept loving him and trying harder to make him happy. In the end it didn't matter. None of it mattered.

When someone tells me happy military spouse appreciation day I don't feel I deserve it. It makes me sad and resentful. He took that away from me.

I used to joke about how stupid the holiday was in the first places. Now that it's been taken away....I guess I feel differently.

Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day to all my friends across the globe. One day you will realize how special you are. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant