To Whom It May Concern

This is not directed at any individual within the Department of Veterans Affairs but the Organization as a whole. You have failed my family when we needed you most.

My husband was in the delayed entry program with the Marines. He retired in 2013. He committed suicide just 135 days after retiring. This means he was dedicated to the  Corps before he was even an adult and then for his entire adult life.

If you look at his headstone it reads Persian Gulf, Iraq, Afghanistan.

He essentially gave his life to this country.

I was never one to stir the pot while he was active duty. I followed him around the country for his career. When he was deployed I parented our three children alone...and proudly because he was fighting for the US. I didn't compain. He was gone over half of my children's life. About a third of our marriage.

He died on Sunday September 15th  2013 at 11:19PM. He put his rifle to his mouth and pulled the trigger.  One shot. He was gone in the blink of an eye. I can never forget that night because I stood just feet away when it happened.

He suffered with PTS for EIGHT YEARS. Trust me, when someone struggles as much as he did it's like knocking over an inkwell it stains everyone around you. My children and I endured this for years.

Before we were even settled back in our hometown and transitioned from active duty life, he was dead. As if the shock and despair of his loss wasn't enough I've had to fight with you, the VA to call his death service connected. How dare you even question this? He died 4 months after retiring from spending his entire adult life in war! He had no mental illness from birth to age 17 when joining the military. He certainly didn't spontaneously acquire a mental illness in the 135 after getting out.

For a year and a half you've repeatedly added insult to injury by denying every single request. When we didn't receive life insurance, I was scared. Seems he died 14 days past the cut off for qualifying. He didn't enroll in extended coverage.  Because everyone knows clinically depressed people are totally responsible. I didn't fight it. I accepted it.

You refused to transfer his post 911 benefits to me so I may have some shot at making a life for my kids. The reason for denial? He wasn't alive to consent. I'm fairly certain he's not going to need those benefits dead. I was confused and again worried how I would provide for my kids alone but I took it.

You've now denied DIC despite my submitting all requested documentation. You have buddy letters from former coworkers, neighbors, family, friends. You have his history. However...YOU lost his entire medical record. TWENTY YEARS WORTH. Not a single page left. You say it's my responsibility to prove he was sick but you can't prove he was the because you lost his his entire damned medical record. THAT IS YOUR FAULT. BUT MY FAMILY IS THE ONE PUNISHED.

I was approached by a law firm a few months ago offering to take this matter pre-bono because they knew his death was a result of his service....but I said I had faith that you'd take care of us.  My husband was entitled to these things and it would be approved. I was wrong. I have lost my faith in the system. I no longer trust you will do the right thing so this will be my last plea to you. I am forwarding the head and heart ache to my attorney.

If I do not see a dime of compensation or get his death properly ruled as service connected it will be worth it for others to know that the VA is treating Vets and their families this way. THE COUNTRY SHOULD KNOW.

...AND they will as I plan on releasing this letter to social media, my local news stations and anyone who will listen . I'm guest speaking for two veteran groups in DC and DENVER this summer, on behalf of surviving spouses of Veterans suicide. My experience with this entire mess will undoubtedly come up.

I never thought in a million years I'd come to distrust the Department of Veterans  Affairs...but then again, I did see the recent news article of a Manager within your company mocking Veterans  Suicide. This time the joke is on you.

Thanks for absolutely nothing,

Misty Blum
Widow of Michael Blum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant