In Support of the Clay Hunt Act

I understand there may be hesitation on passing Clay Hunt. If you've never had to rely on the VA for mental health services you'd think programs are currently in place. On paper it looks as though a comprehensive range of services are provided. I can tell you personally it's just not working. I can give you 22 reasons a day. 22 veterans take their lives daily in the United States. My husband was one. He became a statistic on September 15, 2013. It was just four months after he retired from the Marine Corps.

He left behind myself and our three children. I became a widow at 34. My children were six, eight and 13 when he died. My youngest, the only girl, may not even remember her father as time goes by. He won't be there to see them graduate, or to walk his daughter down the aisle on her wedding day.  Every 65 minutes another child loses their daddy, another wife loses her identity and a family is forever severed.

We were not awarded life insurance or death benefits and because I witnessed my husband's suicide, I have now been diagnosed with PTSD. My kids lost their dad and their mom is disabled, crippled by the intrusive memory of the night he died. We are now surviving on Social Security....because my husband proudly served his country. I'm not bitter, I'm scared because I know our story is not unique. Veteran Suicide has become an epidemic. Men and woman brave enough to run, eyes wide open into a war zone for the love of their country and families are dying not in battle but in their own homes. By their own highly skilled hands.

Veterans make up only 10% of our nation's population but they account for one third of our total suicides annually. I'm not great at math but that seems to be pretty concerning.

It doesn't have to be a great debate in congress. When something isn't working we fix it. What is currently in place isn't working.

If the statistics you're given regarding the suicides aren't staggering to you, consider some things that happen after the veteran takes his life:

Children survivors are more likely to commit suicide themselves.
They are more likely to develop a range of mental illness.
They are more likely to become addicted to substance.
They are more likely to be in an abusive relationship.

If money is a reason for the uncertainties of passing Clay Hunt, consider the expense incurring for care provided to the families after the veteran dies? The average age of the veteran committing suicide is getting lower. That means they more than likely have small kids. Those kids are going to need major mental health services for years after the trauma of losing a parent in this manner.

This is not even the emotional side of Veteran suicide. Just facts.

Personally I feel that my husband's faithful service and inability to recieve care only broke our family. Do you know how hard it is to say that? We love this country. We love the Marine Corps. These service member were willing to serve, no questions asked... and they are tossed aside after their careers are completed. Like garbage. If that's not true it's certainly the impression we are getting. It's like having the government turn their backs on us.

So many families can be saved by passing this. I don't want anyone to feel this pain. This rejection...by the loss of my husband and the lack of compassion from the government he swore to protect. These men and women  were real people, with real families, with hopes and goals and dreams. Now we have a box with a flag folded inside on our mantel.

If you're still not convinced please watch these videos I arranged.

Veteran Suicide is not just a statistic.: http://youtu.be/dsfODclgR-0

For my Fabulous Husband.: http://youtu.be/eyRXxGZvo4o

We are depending on you today, the way you depended on them while serving in the war.

If you look at my husband's headstone it says IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN,  PERSIAN GULF. He gave the ultimate sacrifice. What will you do for his brothers and sisters?

Comments

  1. BMisty,

    Let me first express my condolences for what you are going through. I think the statistics of the number of Veteran's commiting suicide is outrageous. My blog deals primarily with the blight our Veterans go through in the criminal justice system. Our warriors are coming home with problems that many people do not understand and this is causing suicides as well as legal problems. All you have to do is google "incarcerated veterans" and read several heartbreaking stories, and unfortunately the criminal justice system is more likely then not to not be sympathic.

    I am primarily writing to let you know that I have reposted you posting this blog on my own blog I write via tumblr.

    I too am a combat US Marine Veteran who struggles with PTSD. I am fortunate that I have been accepted into residential treatment at my local VAMC, where many others have not had this option.

    Anyways, I will leave my comments brief. My blog is located at ceye04.tumblr.com

    I hope one day you can find peace and that your children will always look to their father as a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PTSD is a painful truth that everyone must understand, especially when it concerns some of our veterans. This Clay Hunt Act should go a long way in helping our VA address this and finally include it in the diseases it must treat and cover. I'm very sorry to hear about your husband, and I hope that your crusade will help others go through such suffering.

    Brad Post @ Jan Dils

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant