My Proposal For Addendum To Post 911 Benefits

Mike and I were married for 11 years. When our third child was born we made the decision for me to stay at home with the kids. Prior to her birth I had worked for some really amazing corporations and was in demand in my field but we both felt staying home was best for our family.

For the rest of his career I was at home with the kids. My youngest child entered elementary school the year he retired. It was time then to go back to work. Six years had passed and although I had great education, references and work history there was still a huge gap in my employment. We had also entered an economic crisis in the time I was a stay at home mother. I knew the job market would be tough. I was fortunate that Mike had his post 911 educational benefits and was furthering his education along with part time employment to supplement.

I basically had to start from the bottom in my career. I was willing to because I knew together Mile and I could financially swing it and you have to start somewhere. Had I not had a partner I could not survive with three kids without relying on some sort of government assistance.

Mike died 135 days after retiring. He had been in college one month when he took his life. I had just two months employment at my new position. I was fired a month after he died. My boss said my PTSD was not conducive to the high stress and demand of my position. I was devastated all the way around. My husband was gone and so was my income.

I learned shortly thereafter that he did not elect to extend his life insurance past the standard 120 period post retirement. Again, I froze in fear. How would I do this alone?

MY HUSBAND WAS DEAD. I HAD NO JOB. NO JOB HISTORY FOR NEARY A DECADE. NO LIFE INSURANCE. NO CHANCE. NO HOPE.

it occurred to me that Mike was using his VA post 911 education benefits at the time of his death so I submitted a request to have them transferred to me so I could have a shot at providing a life for my kids. It was my last hope. I said a prayer and waited a few months for them to reply.

They did reply and again the news was devastating, confusing and nonsensical. The reply was the benefits could not be transfered to myself....because my husband was not alive to sign a consent request. There is no clause in the benefit as to what should happen in the event of the veteran dying while using or still eligible for the benefit. When they die...so does the offer.

That's absurd to me. Why isn't there a page within the contract that states should the veteran die within the eligibility period and is married (especially with children) the remaining balance of benefits should be transferred to the spouse?

If they clearly can't sign things post mortem it should be added as an addendum that is standard with first applying for it. To safeguard their families future!

If it's NOT in the contract I'm proposing it BE ADDED. The veteran paid, served and earned that benefit. If he should die the family should be given the right to it. Give the surviving spouse a chance to succeed in life after his/death.

I'm not talking about the 80 year olds who die. They are far past the thresholds of eligibility anyway. I'm referring to the families within the ten years post retiring. The standard.

Our case was unique because we hadn't even unpacked when my husband died. He wasn't active and he was just barely retired. We didn't qualify for anything. No life insurance, no DIC, no educational benefits. This benefit would give surviving families a fighting chance.

It's too late for us. I must figure the financial future of my family alone. We receive 975.00 in a portion of his retirement. That helps. But minimum wage with that amount still doesn't feed a family of four.

Let my experience be the strike that lights the match to change the policy. It's as simple as one signature on the application years before retirement that can mean the difference between homelessness and success to the surviving family.

Just consider it. Consider the families.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant