The Kids Suffer Most

I understand mental illness, the downward spiral he was in and how suicide is a common result of such conditions. I knew my husband when we were teenagers. We had 20 years worth of memories. I knew him before he was sick. I knew what was in his heart. My kids are so young. They only know that they had a dad when they went to sleep and when they woke up he was gone. 

It's such a raw deal. I had absolutely no problem explaining to my kids that daddy was a Marine and we must sacrifice our time with him so that he could go to other countries and protect their kids. I told them we should be proud, not upset that he's gone because he was helping others and keep our country free.

 He was deployed four times. About 28 months. That's not counting training missions, etc. including training he was gone 37 months of our marriage. That's over three years. My daughter was 6 when he died. We are talking about half her life. He was gone half her life. This was not even an issue until now. I look back and think "was it worth it?" My child missed out on time with her dad half her life and then he died. Will she even remember him? My son is only two years older than her. A third of his life was without him. 

Sometimes it infuriates me. The weight of the reality sits heavy on my chest. We proudly sacrificed our family time for a greater cause and when he died the Marines said there was nothing they could do. The VA said it was not service connected. No life insurance, no way out. Nothing. 

We have gotten FOUR duplicate awards from Barak Obama thanking us for his service. I guess that's nice.

He missed a lot of their first moments in life and he's going to miss so many more in death. He won't teach Mason how to build a camp fire, or take Kira to father daughter dances. He won't teach Mason to drive or give Kira away on her wedding day. 

And I told them to be proud to give up their time with him. I will never forget that. I am so sorry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant