Losing him wasn't the only tragedy

I have spoke a lot lately about the loss of my husband and the life we led up to his suicide. And some may think, why stay? Why not leave. The answer is pretty simple. Living with a sick person is all I have ever known. It's also not the worst situation I have even been in. That's sad but true. Our bills were paid. We had food and a roof over our head. I appreciated this because I have lived without. And, with mental illness thrown in the mix.

I was raised by addicts. Substance abusers. One of the reasons I choose to marry a Marine and move far away is that I needed to get as far apart as possible from the life I once knew. Growing into an adult didn't free me from the dangerous cycle of substance abuse and mental illness. I needed to teach myself how to be a woman. I had to learn to cope with life, not abusing drugs and alcohol. 

By the time I left Missouri, my sister had been in rehab twice and both my brothers were full blown alcoholics. There was not one sober person in my family. I had to leave or I would be subject to the same fate. I was drinking a few times a week. Caring less about responsibility. Divorced at age 23. I was slipping into the same abyss. 

People ask me all the time why I don't go partying. Well, first I'm 35 and have three kids. That ship has pretty much sailed but it's also because when I drink I am afraid I will like it too much and want to stay there. I don't like not having control of my own body and I'm not a fan of drinking around my kids. I can have a few beers but no one else around me can manage to stop at "relaxed". They drink until they are blackout drunk. 

When Mike said he wanted to come back to Missouri after he retired my first thought was "Omg! I don't want to subject my kids to my families lifestyle." And panic ensued. It's not that I don't love my family. I do. It's that they are all sick and they create an environment that enables the sickness. I don't want my kids to fall into that. I want more for them than I had. So much more.

I grew up not knowing if my parents would be home when I got off the bus or if they'd packed up our entire place while at school so we could move to yet another city to out run drug dealers or bill collectors. I grew up in a house that was communal. Uncles, friends, cousins, passed out all over the floor when I woke. My mom was in rehab twice. I was molested by family members both times. I never want my kids to experience what I had to live through. 

Right before Mike was to retire I learned my mom and my step brother were actually dating. What? How do I explain that to my kids? Well, he's my brother but he's also Nana's boyfriend.... I was scared to death. But, I made peace with it because I knew they had a drug free foundation and Mike would be there to run home to when things got out of hand with my family.

So I thought. But, now...I'm here stranded with my kids. Abandoned by him. Missouri isn't my home. Missouri is a reminder of years of abuse, and then the loss of my husband. In the very garage I sit right now. The choice to leave the state is not a hard one. I love myself and my kids more than I care to learn to accept this lifestyle. We can be safe, and healthy and live a life free of substance, emotional, verbal, physical abuse. We can live free. The beautiful life Mike requested I give us right before he took his life. 

Our beautiful life awaits us. It's up to me to provide it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant