Are you there congressman? Its me Misty...

On Mar 19, 2014, at 12:34 PM, "Brown, Chris" <ChrisBrown@mail.house.gov> wrote:

Mrs. Blum,

 

Thank you for contacting Congressman Luetkemeyer to relay your story and ask important questions regarding suicide in the military and related benefits.  We greatly appreciate your willingness to take the time to contact our office.  I have reached out to the House Armed Services Committee staff to raise these issues.  At this time it does not appear that there is a legislative initiative that would change the military benefit structure.  However, I will also reach out to the Pentagon to make sure they understand that this is an issue that causes Congressman Luetkemeyer great concern.  I believe DOD has some internal administrative authority to change certain elements of benefit programs.  I would be more than happy to discuss with you further if you are interested.  At the very least I wanted to reach out to thank you for raising this issue and sharing your concerns.

 

Many thanks,
Chris Brown

 

Chris Brown

Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer (MO-03)

2440 Rayburn House Office Building

202.225.2956

<image001.png><image002.png><image003.png>

Click here to keep 










Thank you for replying to my email. My biggest concern is the transition from career Marine to retired/civilian life being so stressful. The stress of the transition worsens diagnosed and undiagnosed PTSD. It generally takes 3-6 months for the onset of PTSD to be noticed. Veterans have a very long wait time to receive medical care through the VA. If they don't say they are a danger to themselves or others they must wait for an appointment. If on that particular day,during that particular call they don't flag for suicide risk...they must wait. If they are ashamed or embarrassed, they must wait. Service members have life insurance coverage for 120 days after retiring. That's four months. So right in the range of the onset of PTSD. Now, add in the wait time for a doctors appointment. 
My husband died 16 days after the life insurance lapsed. 136 days after retiring. When he died we had -16.45 in our bank account. I couldn't even afford his cremation. The Marine Corps said their hands were tied. the VA said he was not diagnosed with PTSD prior to suicide so it was not "service related". But, tell me what else could possibly go wrong in four months after spending 20 years as a Marine and four deployments to Iraq? How is this not related to his service? Even if he could have gotten an appointment he wouldn't have had time to see doctor. 
I can't bring my husband back but I can try to help the other 22 families a day broken by veteran suicide. Why is it that the length of a normal deployment to a war zone is 7 Months but the term of life insurance is only 4? Why does someone have to be a threat to themselves or others to receive immediate mental health care? 
My husband tried to make an appointment with a private mental health provider on Thursday September 12, 2013. He was told he would have to wait 6 weeks. He killed himself on September 15, 2013. Just three days later.  He had lost all hope.
He spent the majority of his time after retirement fighting the VA to pay his post 9/11 GI education tuition, for which I had to finance up until his death. As of the day of his funeral the VA had still not funded a dime on his tuition. He spent 6 months, everyday on the phone, website and office trying to get the benefits he was entitled to receive. 

My family was broken and my husband was ultimately failed by the people he proudly served for 20 long years. It breaks my heart to think others are also going through this. 

Please contact me for any questions or concerns. 

Misty Blum 
Wife of SSgt Michael Blum USMC Retired/deceased




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant