A Letter to the VA

I've become  pretty familiar with my VA Rep. He's been working the Mikes death claim since July. He's a Marine himself and has done his best to be as thorough as possible in assessing the claim. He's very respectful, warm and friendly. I can tell he really cares. If I had a say he would train all VA representatives but I don't think the traits he possesses can be learned...they are rather earned in life. He can empathize because he knows the life we led. He is the one person in this entire mess I feel doesn't treat Mike like a claim number in a list of many. I wrote him this letter today. I just thought I would share:

I'm sending another email exchange with myself and a former coworker of my husband's on Recruiting duty. Kim Leone. A Sgt at that time and the PR rep for the entire recruiting station. She too noticed the change in Mike. Recalling he was the "poster boy for the Marines" before becoming broken and despondent. I forgot she even existed until a mutual friend on twitter was talking to his neighbor about the Mikes death. That neighbor turned out to be Sgt Leone. They are in Virginia. She told him she knew my husband and remembered his drastic change in behavior. The twitter friend then gave me her email and we spoke about it. She says there are others too who remember his change. It stuck with people I guess. How he could go from being a motivated proud Marine to being so disconnected.  That was the first time I heard him mention he wanted to take his life. It was in that time period I went to the CO (Jackola was his name.) I begged for help and nothing was done. He had a responsibility to help him as his superior and did nothing. He left a man behind. I have forgiven him. But the fact remains that his CO was aware of his struggle as far back as 2005-2006 and did not follow through. It really goes to show that more attention needs to be spent on mental health issues. NOT just in the hospitals but also the chain of command.  The Marine Corps is a small world. More people are bound to come forward. The personality change was THAT noticible.

If it helps the claim or not I feel validated in my fight. I KNOW his death is service connected. I know I am doing the right thing. 

Also, his death is picking up media attention. Last week Montel Williams spoke about us on The Ed Show on msnbc in support of the Clay Hunt Act. It's cases like ours that drive the cause. I became a widow at 34. Service members are dying and they are younger and younger now. I guess he's still a "poster boy" for the Marines just for the worst reasons possible. 

I've pretty much given all I can provide for his VA death claim and have left it in God's hands. If the VA does not rule it service connected, I know I did all I could and gave it 100%. I have learned a lot and will continue to share our story in an effort to prevent others from being taken by the illness and passing the Act to save our service members and their families. No one should be widowed at 34. I have three children  who have questions I have no answers to, except to say "Your daddy was a hero. He was sick but he loved you. I'm sorry."

We've touched many people since his suicide. I've received many letters saying our story woke them up, made them see they had a problem and sought treatment. Even after death he's saving lives. He's forever faithful, as am I. 

I know you've put your heart into this case and I appreciate all you've done. I won't harbor any ill will to you personally Mr. Moore. More VA Reps should be as dedicated as you. You too have done your best.

Semper Fi,

Misty Blum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant