MY ULTIMATE DREAM

I now know my purpose in life is to help others struggling. I never thought I'd be here but God has his ways. I believe He led me here in his divine way.

Ultimately my goal is to speak personally and in groups to at risk veterans and their spouses. I want to share my story, offer support, red flags, resources to help prevent veteran suicide and educate them on symptoms and signs of ptsd. I have been on both sides of the illness. Having ptsd is incredibly hard but so is being the caretaker. The condition affects the entire family. I would love to help eradicate the stereotypes that surround ptsd and suicide both. I want it to become as acceptable as to say you have diabetes.

I would love to see a group of veterans, surviving spouses, caretakers and mental health pros work together traveling across the country speaking to vets and active duty alike.

For instance my husband was a Marine and before retiring took a transition/retirement class. I would love to offer this sort of education to spouses. Transitioning into civilian life is one of the hardest parts for service members. Especially with undiagnosed PTSD. The spouse knows the vet best. I want to educate them on what to look for in changes of behavior, how to talk to their vets about their concerns and resources for every aspect of the transition. I never had that.

While the vets in our group are working with the retiring service members I could be working with the wives for these workshops.

I'm so serious about this proposed program that I'd do it free. I'd love for it to be a paying job as I am a widow with three kids but it's so important to me that I'd do it just for the satisfaction of knowing I'm helping save lives and families.

I'm currently writing the story of our life. If I get the book published and it actually makes money it may fund the project. That would be amazing.

My goal is to get out there and spread the word. I know there is legislation in the works for veteran suicide prevention but I firmly believe the biggest change comes from within  the military community.  No one understands a vet like another veteran. No one understands a military wife like another military wife.

I know if we can make it happen we can change attitudes and save lives. Maybe it's a big dream but it's mine. We should all have one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant