A Connection By The Sea

For some reason Mason connects with his father at the beach. The moment we get in the car and head that way he begins to speak about his father. Sometimes its funny stories, feelings about his loss, or memories of beach trips from the past. It just starts pouring out. This is good.

Its strange though because his dad rarely went with us to the beach. As a matter of fact the beach was our escape on Mike's especially hard days. I took the kids to the beach for the day when he was at his worst. Whether we swam or rock collected, we'd just sit by the ocean and give him time to cool off and be alone.

But, I am glad Mason has found a way to connect and now has an outlet. Of course he doesn't know I noticed. I don't want to point it out and make him self conscious or guarded. I want whatever is on their little minds to flow. I want to talk about any and everything, no matter how hard it is for me to find the right words. Its my promise to them, never stop talking it out. No topic is inappropriate.

They leave for Good Grief camp tomorrow. Its a camp for military kids who lost a parent. I hope it gets their little minds working and their mouths talking. And hopefully they can realize that they aren't alone. Unfortunately, many kids have lost one or both parents. Its nothing to be "happy" about but its good to be surrounded by others who feel the same way they do, even if they cant yet describe that feeling.  It will come with time. They will be around other kids who are further in their recovery and can guide them and maybe some behind them they can help too.

Kira is terrified of camp today. She says shes not going. Shes scared and doesnt want to be away from me. She said she sleeps well because he brother is always there. At camp he will be in a different cabin. I told her I understand what its like to be afraid and I will check back with her tomorrow. Mason is still totally on board and says he will go with or without her. Maybe when she sees camp and all the kids and activities she may change her mind. She really needs this but I wont force her, I dont think. If shes not ready to go I understand. Abandonment is something we are still dealing with and I want her to be confident in herself. But YAY Mason is really excited!

At least we have the sea. I know if Mason is acting out or seems sad I can take him to the ocean. He finds his center there. And when they are calm, my heart is too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant