Rachel Dolezal

I'm sure by now word has gotten out to the world that a prominent NAACP leader has been misleading the public about her race. I find the story so intriguing. I've never heard one like it. I mean other than the White Chicks movie. The one that stars the Wayans Bros undercover as a couple of white sorority sisters. That was funny. This would be funny if people weren't being negatively effected by her choice. 

It's not even a legal matter in my opinion but an ethical and moral issue. Historically the black community has had a very hard time trusting white people in authority. Well, although she had good intentions what she did was foster that lack of trust. 

She teaches Black Women's Struggles and refers in her writing as "We". She has only been disguised as a black woman since 2007 according to her family. She's only been a "black woman" eight years? So she's qualified to speak on it? My daughter was born in 2007. I don't think she's qualified to teach a class on Women's rights. She tells pretty good knock knock jokes though.

I guess what interests me most about the whole thing is being a woman in business is difficult alone, being a woman of color in business is even more tough. I wonder what led her to this identity crisis? 

If she wanted to identify as black, that's her right ( I guess in the sense that we are free to be who we feel. Still weird nonetheless.) but did she really have to go lead a chapter of the NAACP too? That seems to be the ultimate deception. I understand the outrage of the black community. 

She's a strong intelligent and capable woman...why wasn't that enough? She could have been a part of the movement and still stayed honest about herself.  How can you honestly defend and protect racial equality if you are pretending to be a different race? 

Did she think being a white woman working for equal rights would not be taken seriously? There are just so many questions in my head. Was being a blonde Caucasian woman simply not challenging enough for her? 

As a Caucasian myself I'm not offended. She can be a giant glass of apple juice if she wants, but this feels so much more damaging to the people she's trying to protect.

It's like when people fake cancer for attention, or a pregnancy. Or like civilians pretending to be vets for a military discount...or just the praise and admiration of strangers. Was she not validated enough in her natural identity?

The only time in history, to my recollection, that people denied or hid their true race or ethnicity was to escape persecution. She has no end game here. She actually voluntarily put herself in harms way. That's the unfortunate truth in our society.

So many people of color are discriminated daily, in all aspects of their life and she just decided one day to jump right in and then complain about the way white people have treated her. I read she has cited no less than 8 hate crimes committed against her. That seems to me to be one of the oddest parts of the story. It's as if she wanted to be a "victim" so she could be part of the struggle.

I'm an advocate for vets. I am not a vet but I am still passionate about ensuring their care and rights. The fact that I'm not a vet has never stopped me from my advocacy. She could have done great things in her own skin. Your passion is not defined by your skin color. She could have let her dedication be her calling card, why lie? 

In the end to me it's not even about race...it's about being honest. You're lying to yourself everyday and every single person you have committed to serving and that's just not fair. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant