Do You Believe In Divine intervention?

I'm going to do my best to express what happened today and how I feel right now and I hope it makes some sort of sense. I'm shaking, so wound up. My head is spinning and I doubt I will sleep tonight.

I was told I saved another life today. I've done it before...stopped a suicide. Up until now it's always been a stranger or a friend of a friend. This time was too close to home. This time it was a childhood friend. We went to school together. His brother and I were pretty close in middle school. I remember having a huge crush on him back then. He was tall and dreamy and had perfect hair. We grew up and moved to opposite parts of the country. Me in California and they in Indiana. We still kept in touch through Facebook. His brother later took his life. A few years later my husband did the same. We became very close in that shared pain.

Today was the anniversary of the brothers suicide. He posted a "good bye" on his Facebook page and a mutual friend saw it and told me to go check it and see if I need to do something. I called, I texted and I messaged him with no reaponse.

It had been 18 minutes since that status update. I knew I could be too late but I knew I may have time to stop it....

The problem was I am 2000 miles away. I don't have a good phone number and no clue his address or location. Because I've done this before I began my hunt. I knew he was a volunteer firefighter. My first call was to the fire house. That directed me to the Fire Chief. I let him know what was going on and the urgency of the matter. He gave me info for the county sheriff. I called them after. While they were looking for him the Chief was able to contact him and learn his location. He called me to let me know he was enroute. Another facebook friend sent me a message telling me he sent her a photo of his shotgun an alluded to having it on him. I let the fire chief know this to approach with reasonable caution as it could be a tricky situation.

After I knew he was on his way to meet him I just sat and prayed. Minutes later the Chief called me back and let me know he got to him and he did in fact have the loaded shotgun "resting on himself". He said he's positive we saved his life tonight. He was in custody and going to the hospital.

I wholly believe God, my husband or his brother were with us tonight guiding us in the right direction. There is no other way to explain how we were able to pull this off so quickly and so smoothly from this distance and with little to no information on how to even find him. I am so grateful. I'm so convinced that something bigger than us had a hand in keeping him alive tonight.

If someone you know on social media alludes to suicide take it seriously. Tonight my friend said he wasn't at risk "just having a rough time" but still found alone with a loaded weapon minutes later. Let your friends know if you see them post something concerning you will act and if they post it the police will be at their door because it's not to be taken lightly. We are our brothers keeper. It's better to overreact than under.

I still feel shaky and like I might puke 6 hours later. I can't shake the feeling. I can exhale though knowing he's safe tonight. He's probably cussing me bur I will take it because when his head clears he will be glad to be alive for his kids.

Please please please be proactive if you see a friend post suicidal thoughts or suggestions. Dont ignore it. You could save their life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant