HIRE ME

When Mike died just four months after retiring I had finally reentered the workforce after staying at home with the kids for 7 years. They were all officially in school and I was excited to work outside the home. I worked as a warranty administrator in the finance field. The pay was decent and I got to get back into the swing of employment after such a long break as a stay at home mom. I began to really love my job and the people I worked with. It was nice to be useful agwin.

When Mike died I had only been employed with the company for three months. They were very understanding and sympathetic of our loss. I tried to go back to work two weeks later and didn't last the day. I spoke with the manager and he said to take as much time as needed. I wanted to be there. I needed to be there but my head was in such a fog. My anxiety was through the roof. I found out two weeks later I had PTSD from the event. I was very honest with my boss.  She thanked me for keeping her updated.

Before October was over I recieved a package from work. I opened it to find all the items from in and on my desk. I immediately called my boss. I didn't understand. I was in tears. At first she said she thought I might need those things so she sent them...but by the end of the conversation she said she didn't think my ptsd was going to work in such a high stress and demanding position. I...was...stunned.

I was told to take the time, I was thanked for the updates, I was looking forward to going back to work and trying to get a routine again.

I got fired because my husband died? I told her she didn't understand I needed this job. It was all I had. She apologized and wished me luck.

I finally broke down. How was I going to support my family?

I began to believe what she said. Maybe my condition WOULD prevent me from working? Maybe she saw something I didnt?

I managed to survive the Marine Corps lifestyle.  I managed to survive my husband's untimely and tragic death, I managed to become a single mom again. How can I not manage a job? How can I provide for my family if I don't work?

I let that statement, her opinion run my head for a year and a half. I was at the lowest point in my life and she kicked my while I was down. I am over it. I'm going back to work...well that is...if someone will hire me.  She may think I'm not strong enough but I say JUST WATCH ME. It's up to me solely to make a good life for my kids. If I don't no one else will. I will teach them that life can go on. You can succeed in the face of tragedy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Domestic Violence Allegations and Personality Disorders

Service Member Suicide

The Gentle Giant